Former Technical Trainees in Electric Companies May Work in Japan as Specified Skilled Workers

The Land of the Rising Sun has one of the most technologically advanced companies and commercial establishments in the world. They are known for their excellent quality and modern innovations that are definitely impressive and awe inspiring.


For this reason, quite a number of foreigners have expressed their interest to go to Japan as technical trainees in order to acquire valuable knowledge and technical knowhow that they may utilize in their respective country of origin.


Photo credit to:

Majority of these foreign technical trainees are employed in companies and establishments that are engaged in manufacturing as well as in Electric, Electronic and Information Industries. After the technical internship training program is over, the foreign technical interns may either go back to their countries or extend their stay in Japan.


Under the previous immigration rule, the policies imposed by the government on foreign nationals who aspire to work and reside in Japan used to be stringent. But with the implementation of the new immigration control act that was enacted last April of 2019, a new visa category was introduced-the “Specified Skilled Worker” visa.


The Specified Skilled worker visa category is intended to attract more and more foreign nationals who aspire to work and reside in Japan. Based on this visa type, skilled workers engaged in blue collar jobs may apply and work in Japan for a period of five years provided that they have considerable experience and skills in the relevant industry. They need not be college or university graduates.


In addition, the foreign applicant must pass the Specified Skills Evaluation Test and achieve at least an “N4” level in the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. As an exception to this rule, foreign technical trainees who formerly interns in Electric, Electronic and Information Industries may obtain the Specified Skilled Worker visa without the need of passing the industry specific exam as long as they have a work experience as technical interns for at least three years.


Reference: Specified Skilled Visa


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Want to know the latest news and openings in Japan.

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter.

Promise, we’ll keep you posted!