Foreigners With Specified Worker Visa Needed in Manufacturing Industry

With the tremendous increase in the number of construction projects, high rising buildings and commercial establishments in Japan, the country is also in need of more and more foreign construction workers and builders who have considerable experience and skills to contribute in the construction industry.


Photo credit to:

Being one of the most technologically advanced nations worldwide, the Land of the Rising Sun attracts quite a number of international companies who set up their businesses in the country. In fact, Japan is highly commended for its modern innovations and excellent quality of products.


Due to these economic factors, Japan emerged as one of the fastest growing and progressive countries across the globe. However, despite this, Japan continues to fall short of the necessary human resources that are essential for the continuity in its upward growth and development.


In order to address the chronic labor shortage in the country, the Japanese government through its National Diet amended its immigration policies that used to impose stringent requirements on foreign nationals who are interested to work and acquire a green card visa to become permanent residents of Japan.


One of the most remarkable changes introduced in the New Immigration Control Act is the new visa category known as the “Specified Skilled Worker Visa” This category is available to foreign nationals who have considerable knowledge and experience in any of the fourteen categories that identified to suffer the worst forms of workforce setback in Japan.


These fourteen sectors include Care worker, Building Cleaning Management, Machine Parts & Tooling Industry, Industrial Machinery Manufacturing Industry, Electric, Electronic and Information Industries, Construction Industry, Shipbuilding and Ship Machinery Industry, Automobile Repair and Maintenance, Aviation Industry, Accommodation Industry, Agriculture Fishery and Aquaculture as well as Food and Beverage production.


In this visa category, foreigners who want to work in the manufacturing industry need not be college or university graduates as long as they pass the industry specific and posess at least an “N4” level in the Japanese Language Proficiency Test.


Reference: Specified Skilled Visa


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Want to know the latest news and openings in Japan.

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter.

Promise, we’ll keep you posted!