Foreign Electricians and Construction Workers May Apply as Specified Skilled Worker in Japan

Despite being one of the most progressive countries not only in Asia but all over the world, Japan has been dealing with several social concerns and issues over the past years in view of its aging population, low birth rate and vast decline in inward migration.


While it is true that the Land of the Rising Sun is blessed with fast growing economic developments, modern technological innovations and increase in building constructions, Japan lacks one of the most essential assets of a self sustaining economic tiger. That is, the supply of human resources coming from the working age population.


Photo credit to:

Nowadays, there are more and more senior citizens in the country who are in need of various social welfare benefits. But, there are a few sources of workforce in Japan. In this regard, there are fourteen specific sectors that are particularly identified to be suffering from the most chronic labor shortage.


The abovementioned fourteen industries include Care worker, Building Cleaning Management, Machine Parts & Tooling Industry, Industrial Machinery Manufacturing Industry, Electric, Electronic and Information Industries, Construction Industry, Shipbuilding and Ship Machinery Industry, Automobile Repair and Maintenance, Aviation Industry, Accommodation Industry, Agriculture Fishery and Aquaculture as well as Food and Beverage production.


Since Japan is saturated with high rising buildings and commercial establishments especially in its capital city, Tokyo, a lot of foreign nationals are interested to work in Japan as construction workers and electricians to help in building and maintaining the modern establishments and facilities in the country.


However, the previous immigration policies in Japan used to provide stringent requirements on foreigners who are interested to work and reside in the country. But recently, the Japanese government introduced the “Specified Skilled Worker” visa which allows these construction workers and electricians to work in Japan for a period of five years as long as they have considerable knowledge and experience in their field. They need not even be college or university graduates to successfully obtain the visa.


Reference: Specified Skilled Visa


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Want to know the latest news and openings in Japan.

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter.

Promise, we’ll keep you posted!