Accommodation Industry in Japan Needs More Foreign Workers Due to Tourism Boom

In recent years, the Land of the Rising Sun is regarded as one of the fastest growing tourist attractions across the globe. Due to the influx of tourists in Japan year in and year out, the transportation and accommodation industry in the country also needs more and more workers who are able to cater to the needs of international tourists and globetrotters who come to visit Japan.


There are various forms of accommodation in Japan that are especially known for their distinctive and unique features such as but not limited to the capsule hotel, bed and book café and various themed accommodations that truly stimulate the likes and interests of both local and foreign tourists in the country.


Photo credit to:

However, amidst the tourism boom in Japan and the increase in the number of available job opportunities, the country falls short of the necessary human resources that are important to keep the businesses and commercial establishments belonging to the accommodation industry afloat.


In order to address the chronic labor shortage in Japan as a result of its aging population, low birth rate and decline in inward migration, the Japanese government amended its immigration policies that used to provide for strict requirements on foreign nationals who express their desire to work and reside in Japan on a more or less permanent basis.


Under the New Immigration Control Act which took effect last April 1, 2019, a new visa category known as the “Specified Skilled Worker Visa” is introduced in order to attract more and more foreign workers in the country. This new visa type may be availed of by foreign nationals even those with low educational attainment. It is not necessary for them to have a college or university degree as long as they have considerable knowledge and experience in the specific industry that they intend to work in.


Among the fourteen specified industries included in the list is the Accommodation industry. Based on the specified skilled worker category, foreigner who want to work in various accommodation types in Japan need not be college graduates as long as they pass the industry specific and possess at least an “N4” level in the Japanese Language Proficiency Test.


Reference: Specified Skilled Visa


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Want to know the latest news and openings in Japan.

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter.

Promise, we’ll keep you posted!